
LONDON (AP) — King Charles III has been “deeply touched” by the response to his update on his cancer treatment, Buckingham Palace said Saturday, adding that the monarch is pleased to have highlighted the value of screening programs for the disease.
Medics and health charities have praised the king for his openness, saying his statement on Friday had already prompted people to seek information about cancer.
In a strikingly personal video statement, the British monarch acknowledged that a cancer diagnosis can feel “overwhelming,” but said catching the disease early brings “the precious gift of hope.”
Here’s what to know about the king's condition and his message.
A royal health update
The 77-year-old king said in a statement broadcast Friday that his treatment schedule will be reduced in the new year, “thanks to early diagnosis, effective intervention and adherence to ‘doctors’ orders.’”
He encouraged others to take advantage of screening programs such as those for breast, bowel and cervical cancer offered by Britain’s public health service.
“Early diagnosis quite simply saves lives,” the king said in the statement aired during a “Stand Up to Cancer” telethon on TV station Channel 4. He said catching the disease early had allowed him “to continue leading a full and active life even while undergoing treatment.”
Charles has received outpatient treatment for almost two years. Buckingham Palace did not say the king is in remission, but that his treatment is moving to a “precautionary phase” and his condition will be monitored to ensure his continued recovery.
“I know from my own experience that a cancer diagnosis can feel overwhelming,” the king said in his video statement. “Yet I also know that early detection is the key that can transform treatment journeys, giving invaluable time to medical teams – and, to their patients, the precious gift of hope.”
Diagnosed in 2024
Charles announced in February 2024 that he had been diagnosed with cancer, and, in a break from centuries of secrecy about royal health, he has since spoken about the illness, using his story to promote cancer awareness and treatment.
The openness has limits, though. The king has not disclosed what type of cancer he has or what kind of treatment he is receiving. The palace said it was an intentional decision designed to ensure his message reaches the widest possible audience.
The king’s cancer was discovered after treatment for an enlarged prostate. While doctors ruled out prostate cancer, tests revealed “a separate issue of concern,” palace officials said last year.
Charles suspended his public appearances for about two months after his diagnosis. Since returning to the public eye, he has visited cancer treatment centers across the country and shared stories with fellow patients.
Setting an example
Buckingham Palace said Charles “will be greatly encouraged and deeply touched by the very positive reaction" his message has generated. “He will be particularly pleased at the way it has helped to shine a light on the benefits of cancer screening programs,” it added.
British cancer charities said the number of people seeking information about cancer jumped after the king revealed he was undergoing treatment last year.
Cancer Research U.K. said about 100,000 people have visited its Screening Checker website since it was launched on Dec. 5, most of them since the king’s statement on Friday.
The charity's Chief Executive Michelle Mitchell said: “When public figures speak openly about their cancer diagnosis, it can prompt others to check in on their health.”
Broadcaster Jonathan Dimbleby, the king’s authorized biographer, said the statement was “a remarkable thing for a monarch to do.”
“It takes guts, and the fact that he came out and did that will save lives,’” Dimbleby said.
The Princess of Wales, who announced her own cancer diagnosis six weeks after her father-in-law, has also given updates on her treatment. Kate announced in January that her cancer is in remission.
____
Find more of AP’s coverage at https://apnews.com/hub/royalty
LATEST POSTS
- 1
What's inside Mexico's Popocatépetl? Scientists obtain first 3D images of the whole volcano - 2
'We need everyone,' wounded reservist urges Knesset panel to advance haredi draft law - 3
Last supermoon of the year, the cold moon, seen across the U.S.: See the photos - 4
‘Democratizing space’ is more than just adding new players – it comes with questions around sustainability and sovereignty - 5
Figure out how to Arrange a Fair Settlement with the Assistance of a Fender bender Legal counselor
Senior's Manual for Obtaining a Hyundai Ioniq EV: Tips
Public mistrust linked to drop in deceased donor organ donations and kidney transplants
Fetterman says he's back home after a fall put the Pennsylvania senator in the hospital
Best Food Truck Cooking: Decision in favor of Your Number one!
'The best gift ever': Baby is born after the rarest of pregnancies, defying all odds
A Pompeii site reveals the recipe for Roman concrete. It contradicts a famous architect’s writings
Smooth out Your Funds: Cash The board Simplified
Baikonur launch pad damaged after Russian Soyuz launch to International Space Station
Influencers are selling a delusional fantasy of being postpartum. Why is it so easy to believe?













